This bread recipe is so easy that it will quickly become your go-to recipe any time you want to make crusty on the outside and soft on the inside bread.
The key to this easy bread recipe is an enameled covered cast iron pot also known as a dutch oven. The sizes of a dutch oven can span from .5 quart to as large as 15 quarts. in the picture above I used a 5-quart dutch oven. I have also made this recipe in a 7 quart. As long as your dutch oven is 2.5 quarts or larger it will work with this easy bread recipe.
Here are some tips I have learned along the way making this easy bread recipe.
- To start making this super easy bread recipe, place all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Be sure to have the salt and the yeast on the opposite sides of the bowl. If the salt and yeast are placed together the salt will kill the yeast. If this happens your dough will not rise.
- The next step is to add the water. The temperature should be between 95 and 105 degrees. I use a thermometer to ensure the water is at the correct temperature. This step is up to you. I have just had many bread failures so I always go the extra mile to ensure the water is at the correct temperature.
- Once the water is added the dough will be sticky. This is a good thing.
- Form the dough into a ball and place the dough in a bowl
- Choose a cover (cling wrap or a shower cap) for the dough and spray the cover with cooking spray. Once sprayed cover the dough.
- Place a warm damp towel over the cling wrap or shower cap. I like to think of this as tucking my bread in for the night. 🙂
- I recommend placing a towel under the bowl if you have stone or tile countertops. This will help keep the bowl warm from the cold countertops.
- When you’re ready to bake the bread, lightly flour the surface you will be working on. Take the dough out of the bowl and form it into a ball.
- During this time your dutch oven will be warming up in the oven. I find that because the dutch oven is so hot it freaks me out a little. Because of that, I place the dough ball on parchment paper. However, the parchment paper gives it a wood-fired taste that you might not like.
- Once your dough is in the dutch oven, place the cover on and put the dutch oven inside your oven.
- By placing the cover on your creating a moist environment for bread to bake that is similar to professional ovens. This environment creates bread that is soft on the inside and crusty on the outside.
- After 30 minutes, remove the cover and allow your bread to continue to bake for another 15 minutes. During the time your bread will turn a beautiful golden brown.
- Now, this is the hard part. Once your bread is done, place it on a rack and allow it to cool for 30 minutes before you eat it. When you cut into your bread will see lots of amazing holes and great bread structure the yeast created
For those who are counting along with me on my quest to bake my way through the Great British Baking Show, this is the 5th bake. I leapfrogged the last bake from S1, E2. I will make macrons later this week. But for now, I have 5 down and 273 to go!
Easy Bread Recipe – No Knead Dutch Oven
- Dutch Oven
- Wooden Spoon or Spatula
- 3 cups Flour (all-purpose or bread)
- 2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1.5 tsp Salt (sea salt preferably)
- 1.5 cups Water between 95 and 105 degrees
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl with the yeast on one side and the salt on the other side.
- Add in the warm water and mix until the dough forms a ball.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a shower cap (it's reusable) and a damp towel for 20 – 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees with the dutch oven inside.
- While heating takes the dough out of the bowl, place it on a lightly floured surface, and form into a ball. (I like to do this on parchment paper so that it's easier to place the dough into the dutch oven).
- Carefully remove the dutch oven from the oven (it will be hot, so be careful) and remove the lid. Either spray the dutch oven with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper, then place the dough in the dutch oven and put the cover back on.
- Place the dough in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes. Then remove the lid and continue to cook for another 15 minutes. Once done, remove from the oven and allow to fully cool before eating.