This updated delicious creamy mushroom soup is a lighter version of the old-school soup. The cozy mushroom flavor takes center stage, while the cream plays the best supporting actor. You can make this easy recipe smooth or chunky. I also included an optional quick garlic crouton recipe, because croutons make this soup so much better!
This mushroom soup is lighter than the traditional cream of mushroom soup and so much better! I bet you can guess, I love this soup. There are two secrets that make this soup so good. First, the mushrooms are cooked for a long time undisturbed that brings out their flavor. This simple technique makes an unmistakable difference. Second, a light amount is cream is used, this allows the mushroom flavor to shine through. It is as if the mushrooms are the star and the cream is the supporting actor.
How to Cook Mushrooms for Maximum Flavor
In order to bring out the full flavor of the mushrooms, you must saute them and then cook them in sherry. This step takes the soup from ok to OH MY GOD.
- Coat the Mushrooms
To bring out the best flavor, coat the mushrooms in olive oil. I recommend using the olive oil that is left in the pan from cooking the onions.
- Salt the Mushrooms
Sprinkling the mushrooms with a pinch of salt helps to bring out the flavor, but also draws out any moisture.
- Distribute the Mushrooms Evenly Across the Bottom of the Pot
- Do Not Touch the Mushrooms for FIVE Minutes
This step is hard but vital for intensifying the mushroom flavor. This is often known as the browning or darkening of the mushrooms. If you have a small pan or a lot of mushrooms, you might need to stir and repeat this step.
- Add Flour and Cook Undisturbed
Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir to coat evenly. Allow the mushrooms to cook for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add Sherry or White Wine and Cook Undisturbed
I think you have it down now, do not disturb the mushrooms while cooking.
In this step add the sherry or white wine and leave undisturbed for five minutes. The mushrooms might be caramelizing and that is ok. All those caramelized bits at the bottom of the pot add so much flavor.
What Types of Mushrooms I can use?
The base of this recipe is made using baby bella and white button mushrooms. Baby bellas are juvenile portobello mushrooms. These mushrooms are also known as cremini mushrooms. Baby bella is really the shortened name for portobello.
In addition to the base, you might want to sprinkle in additional mushrooms. The additional mushrooms will add complexity and earthy flavors. The earthy flavor can be quite strong and as a general rule, a little goes a long way.
When it comes to garnishing there are lots of great options. Here are a few suggestions. Personally, I love a chunky soup and I load up on garnishes.
- Green onions
- Garlic croutons
- Parmesan cheese
Creamy Mushroom Soup FAQ
Yes, absolutely, just substitute coconut cream in place of cream.
Yes! I would say this soup is healthy. To make the soup even healthier, substitute the heavy cream with half and half.
I would use button mushrooms when making the base of this soup. You can also sprinkle in a variety of different mushrooms for a more complex flavor profile.
Much like golden mushroom soup, creamy mushrooms soup is lighter in flavor and texture than traditional cream of mushroom soup. However, there are a lot of additional flavors in the golden mushroom soup that my recipe does not have.
How to Store Mushroom Soup
Refrigerator - Transfer the soup into an air-tight container. Soup can be store this way in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Freezer - I do not recommend freezing this soup.
In the Mood for Something Else? Try One of These Recipes:
Creamy Mushroom Soup with Baby Bellas
- Stick blender
- Soup or other heavy pot
- Baking sheet (optional)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, broken into small pieces
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, broken into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- ¼ cup flour
- ⅓ cooking sherry or dry white wine
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
Garlic Croutons (optional)
- 2 cups bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- Onions: In a soup pot or a dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sprinkle with salt. Stirring often, cook the onions until they begin to brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and thyme, continue to cook, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the onions from the pot and set aside, leaving the oil in the pot.¼ cup olive oil, 1 medium onion, diced, 4 cloves garlic, minced, 1 pinch salt, 2 teaspoons thyme
- Mushrooms: Add mushrooms to the pot the onions were cooked in. Arrange the mushrooms in a single layer at the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle with salt and cook undisturbed for about 5 minutes. Stir 1 - 2 times more and continue to cook until golden brown all over, about 5–7 minutes longer. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms and toss to coat evenly. Cook for another 2- 3 minutes undisturbed. Add the sherry and cook for an additional 3 - 5 minutes undisturbed. The mushrooms should be very brown and possibly caramelized.8 oz baby bella mushrooms, broken into small pieces, 1 pinch salt, ¼ cup flour, ⅓ cooking sherry or dry white wine, 8 oz white button mushrooms, broken into small pieces
- Stock: Add the stock and onions to the mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and use the stick blender to blend soup until desired creaminess. Add the ⅔rds of the cream to the soup and stir.3 cups vegetable broth, ½ cup heavy cream
- Serve: Pour into bowls, top with remaining cream and desired garnishes.
Garlic Croutons (optional)
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the bread into cubes.2 cups bread, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- Make and Bake: Toss the bread cubes in olive oil and garlic salt. Arrange on a baking sheet. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, until the croutons are at the desired toastiness.
- For a creamier soup, add up to an additional ½ cup of heavy cream
- For a lighter soup, you can substitute half and half for heavy cream.
- Storage - Refrigerator - Transfer the soup into an air-tight container. Soup can be store this way in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Storage - Freezer - I do not recommend freezing this soup.